Sunday, October 2, 2011

Of all the things to blog about after a long absence...

Ok, I have a number of things I have failed to record on this here blog, mainly our amazing trip to Hawaii. If any of you are friends with Katie Tengelsen just read her post about it, same thing. I also have 2 weddings, a family reunion, a family trip, and Disneyland. But no, what am I going to chose to do a quick post about?

That I am very bad at cooking. Baking specifically. I tried to make some cookies today, a first in a LONG LONG time, and they were a disaster. I followed a recipe (accidentally) that includes oatmeal and then when it came to the oatmeal I just didn't include it. Once I was "done" with the dough it occurred to me that leaving out the oats is not okay, and realized that in a regular recipe I needed a lot more flour. So, anyway, no good, plus I tried to bake them such that they wouldn't be burned (which is always the case) and instead it was the opposite extreme, too mushy. And I know they really were bad because we ate some and I said "well these aren't very good" and my wonderfully honest husband just patted my leg and said "good try dear." So yeah. I give up. One day Chris will make millions and I will just hire a chef slash baker.

Also, I will try to blog about those better things soon, sorry!!!!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

haha, it must be genetic. I tried to make cinnamon rolls for Greg once. He came home, saw them, and said "Maybe they will look better after you bake them"... uh they were already baked. Yeah, they were awful. His parents were coming over the next day and I hid them in the cupboard so they wouldn't see them. Honestly, I've gotten slightly better at cooking since then, but I will never ever make cinnamon rolls again.

When are you guys moving to Henderson ;) Seriously though, good luck with all the decisions about grad school and stuff this year. It was great seeing you this summer. Love ya!

Adelaide said...

LOL it's always bad when your husband can't come up with a compliment, right? when hector and i first got married, i told him that i was really starting to like cooking. He sincerely told me, "Hunny, you're not cooking. You're just warming things up."

One of my best friends swears that allrecipes.com saved her marriage. :p he just nods his head. hahaha Have you ever checked out that site? it's recipes posted by ordinary people, so they're not over the top, which is good for me.

if you ever think about making cookies again. make these
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/best-big-fat-chewy-chocolate-chip-cookie/detail.aspx

you won't regret it. and they're so simple. just follow the recipe. they cook on the baking pan a little after they come out.

Unknown said...

Does it make you feel any better that I struggle with baking too? I've had my share of epic fails and you know I take pride in my abilities. So, moral of the story, we all suck t up sometimes and there's always a next time!